This post will be a little too much for some people so I apologise now! 🙊🙈
I recently had my first ever smear test last year & I too was absolutely crapping myself to go. To all of those out there who are nervous, please don’t be. Between the ages of 25-49 you need to have a test every 3 years… 3 years is a very long gap! 50-64 is every 5 years… So ladies it’s not like you need to have them often. Like I say, I completely understand. But it’s so necessary to have it.
So if you didn’t already know I work as a GP receptionist… I promise you, the receptionist isn’t judging you, the nurse isn’t judging you & we talk to people like you & see people like you all the time! Sometimes the nurses even do back to back smears where I work. It’s normal. Trust me! ☺️
A few little tips for you if you are nervous! *in no way am I saying these work for everybody or that this is what you think etc, just friendly advice
1. You must try to book mid cycle.. & if you do start your period when your smear test is booked then just give them a call & try to book for a week & a half later’ish 👌🏼
2. Book for a good time for you. I had mine first thing in the morning as then I didn’t have ages to worry about it for so long ☺️ if you want you can book for after work so you can have a shower first etc, whatever makes it better for you!
3. Don’t be embarrassed. I know that’s easier said than done. But like I’ve said before, the nurses are always lovely & they do this day in, day out. So don’t worry!
4. Talk to the nurse about her day or something so it takes your mind off it a little bit & make sure you’re comfy before she does the test 💁🏽 if the speculum she is using doesn’t feel right, see if there is a smaller one! Don’t be scared to ask.
5. It takes about a minute & of course it’s not going to be the most enjoyable thing.. But it’s a very necessary thing to do! Remember why you’re having it done!
I hope this helps. If you have any questions please feel free to ask! I’m happy to help
Caitlin xo 💞